We all know that over the last four years 2nd Chances has developed some outstanding recycling programs.
So what is this upcycling all about?
Upcycling is a new term for repurposing. Upcycling is the act of taking something no longer in use and giving it a second life and new function. In doing so, the finished product often becomes more practical, valuable and beautiful than what it previously was.
A wonderful team of volunteers got together and brainstormed ideas to take items donated to 2nd Chances and to upcycle them into some very cool gardening décor and supplies.
Here are a few examples:
- Take a golf club, cup and saucer and make a bird feeder
- Turn a beat up old chair into a plant stand
- Cut up old venetian blinds and use them as garden markers
- Use an old boot as a decorative planter
2nd Chances on Fairmount has now dedicated a section of our store for our many upcycling ideas that are not just for the garden.
Some pet items ideas include:
· Use an old T-shirt, 2 wire hangers and some cardboard to make a cat tent
· Turn a pillow sham and old foam into a beautiful dog bed
So, for those of you who don’t have time for yet another project, the upcycled items will be available for sale at 2nd Chances. For those of you looking for ideas, you can use our new section for directions to make these items and shop in our store for supplies. Either way, you will be supporting the animals of Chautauqua County as well as reducing our carbon footprint by giving an item that was destined to be thrown away, a second purpose.